Is There a Way to Expedite a Divorce?

People often wonder if there is a “simpler” or “quicker” way to get a divorce. In most instances, the answer is no. In California, the court requires a minimum six-month waiting period before a dissolution judgment can be entered.

However, for couples who meet certain specifications, a summary dissolution may be an option for simplifying the process. In order to qualify, you and your spouse:

      Have been married for less than 5 years;

Have no children together before or during the marriage;

Do not own any part of land or buildings;

Do not rent any land or buildings (except for where you now live, as long as you do not have a 1-year lease or option to buy);

Do not owe more than $6,000 for debts acquired since the date you got married;

Have less than $40,000 worth of property acquired during the marriage;

Do not have separate property worth more than $40,000;

Agree that neither spouse will ever get spousal support; AND

Have signed an agreement that divides your property and debts

If ALL of the above referenced requirements are met, you can qualify for a summary dissolution and the process can be simplified by less paperwork and requirements. Although the process is simpler than a regular dissolution, the waiting period is still six months in California and until exactly six months from filing your case, you are still legally married.
If you have questions about filing for divorce or a “summary” divorce, please contact our office at 619-398-3468.  We appreciate the opportunity to answer your questions and concerns.